A Better Dragon
I loved TheRat’s original ‘Dragon’ Thing, but wanted to be able to really print it in high quality, while putting both Meshmixer’s new support structures, and my UM2 printer through their respective paces.
Looking at others’ successful prints, there were clearly some spots in the wings that were just too thin for Cura to even try to slice, and the back edges of the wings seemed raggedy. So I cleaned up the geometry in Netfabb, then imported it into Z-Brush and thickened the middle span of the wings, where other prints had failed, and also fixed some holes and tangles in the back edges of the wings. Back in Netfabb, I cut a couple of mm off the bottom of the feet to give a solid based to print on. The resulting model is uploaded here as ‘Dragon-Z-flat.stl’.
I then went into MeshMixer, and added support columns. The meshmixer file is attached, and the resulting supported STL file also – ‘Dragon-Z-flat-support.stl’.
More info about the print, including a timelapse video is available athttp://www.extrudable.me/2014/01/02/the-guy-with-the-dragon-part-2/